There’s a whole host of poisonous plants for pets. From Ivy and Tulips, to Lilies and Azaleas — make sure your clients are aware of which plants are toxic to pets.
Many pet owners may not stop to consider poisonous plants and the effect they might have on their cat or dog’s wellbeing. However, as pet professionals, you can remind owners which plants to avoid in order to take optimum care of their fur baby!
But wait; don’t be fooled into thinking you only need to discuss poisonous plants with your green-fingered clients. Even novice and terrible gardeners need to take note.
Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) director Dr. Paula Parker says: “Cycads or Sago palms have become quite popular. They are hardy, suitable for the less successful gardeners out there, and can seem like a good idea. However, they are extremely toxic to our pets. In fact, all parts of the Cycad plant -including the seeds, roots, and leaves – are toxic to animals.”
Toxic plants can be fatal
Dr Parker recalls an incident involving three dogs from the same family who were poisoned by Cycad plants. “They had moved to a new property and were removing plants from the backyard. In the process, the Cycad plants were disturbed, and the dogs started playing with the roots.
“Their owners brought them into the veterinary clinic later that afternoon when they started to vomit. Even after just a few short hours, we could detect signs of liver damage.
“Cycad toxicity is highly fatal. Thankfully, with intensive treatment, two of the dogs pulled through. Unfortunately, the most mischievous of their clan didn’t make it. Despite all of our efforts, over the next 12 hours his liver went into failure before our eyes.”
Certainly, it’s not about scaring pet owners; but it is important that they understand how fatal poisonous plants can be to their beloved animals.
Indeed, while poisonous doesn’t necessarily mean deadly, it always pays to err on the side of caution. By educating pet owners on which plants are considered poisonous, you can help ensure the wellbeing of their pets.
While cats are thought to be more picky eaters than their canine counterparts, they can ingest toxins when grooming their fur. Signs to indicate a cat has been poisoned are similar to dogs — vomiting, diarrhoea, trembling, seizures, respiratory problems and weight loss.
Certainly, it can be very difficult, for pet owners to prevent their pet from ingesting a toxin. Yes, they can ensure household poisons are out of reach but when it comes to poisonous plants, it’s tricky.
By educating owners on which plants are potentially dangerous to the health and wellbeing of their fur babies, you can help reduce the likelihood of a fatality.
These business insurance products are distributed by BizCover Pty Ltd (ABN 68 127 707 975, AFSL 501769) and promoted by WaldenWood Group Pty Ltd (ABN 53 093 501 538, AFSL 278954). If you choose to buy a product as a result of a referral we will receive a fee. BizCover acts as an agent of the insurers in respect of the insurance products offered on the website and not as your agent. Any advice does not consider your individual needs. You should consider if the insurance is suitable for you and ensure you understand the full details of any product you are interested in purchasing (including inclusions and exclusions), by carefully reading the Product Disclosure Statement or policy wording before buying the insurance. This information is provided as a guide only and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask your advisor or BizCover.;